REGULATION FOR DOCTORATE (Ph.D.) 2016
(i) These Regulations shall be called the Regulations for Doctorate (Ph.D), 2016 and shall come into force with effect from 1st July 2016 onwards.
(ii) A Doctorate (Ph.D) shall be awarded by Bhatkhande Music Institute Deemed University, Lucknow (hereinafter referred to as “Deemed University”) strictly in accordance with the provisions of these Regulations contained hereinafter.
(iii) These Regulations shall be applicable to the Indian scholars as well as to the affiliation of foreign and non-resident Indian scholars.
(iv) The number of scholars admitted to the Ph.D programme shall be as per the guidelines of the University Grants Commission.
2 Eligibility for Registration
(a) A candidate shall be eligible for registration as a candidate for a Doctorate of the Deemed University, if he/she qualifies in the entrance test organised by the Deemed University and holds any one of the following degrees with at least 55% marks :-
(i) M.P.A (Vocal/Instrumental Music/Dance) from the Deemed University or an equivalent Post Graduate Degree in Music recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
(ii) M.Mus (Vocal/Instrumental Music/Dance) or an equivalent degree in music from any recognised deemed university.
(iii) M.A./M.Phil. in Music from any recognised deemed university.
(b) Master’s degree in any other subject from any recognised Deemed University with at least 55% marks and holds any one of the following or its equivalent recognised by the Deemed University, with at least 55% marks :-
(i) Parangat of the Deemed University, Lucknow.
(ii) Sangeet Alankar of Akhil Bhartiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal, Mumbai.
(iv) Sangeet Nipun of Bhatkhande Sangeet Vidyapith, Lucknow.
(v) Sangeet Kovid of Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh.
(vi) Sangeet Visharad of Banasthali Vidyapith, Rajasthan.
(c) “In Regulation 2(c) of the Ph.D. Regulation of the Bhatkhande Music Institute Deemed University the following Regulation shall be substituted wef the date of enforcement of the said Regulations retrospectively.”
“(c) The reservations shall be based on the subjective satisfaction of the Academic Council of the Deemed University strictly on the basis of the merit of the candidate.”
(d) All postgraduate degrees as per the UGC Guidelines.
(e) A candidate having qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) or Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in music or those working on Research projects directly pertaining to music funded by the Government or organizations recognized by Central or State Governments like UGC, ICSSR. and having a post graduate degree with at least 55% marks in any subject from a recognised university.
3 Procedure for Registration
Registration for Doctorate shall be according to the following procedure:-
- Registration of Doctorate shall be only from the same faculty from which the student has secured the post graduate degree and/or eligibility degree.
- The last date for receipt of application form, details of entrance test and interview for registration of Doctorate will be declared by the Deemed University every year and the applications would be required to be submitted ordinarily in August/September every year.
- The allocation of the supervisor for a selected student shall be decided by the Deemed University depending on the number of students per faculty member, the available specialization among the faculty supervisors, and the research interest of the student as indicated during interview by the student. The allotment/allocation of supervisor shall not be left to the individual student or teacher.
- The subject of research shall comply with the faculties of the Deemed University.
- Attested copies of the mark sheets/grade sheets of Master Degree or Diploma/M.Phil Degree and Migration Certificate, should be enclosed with the application form. The Immigration Certificate should be furnished within a maximum period of six months from the date of submission of application.
- All the candidates except those who qualify UGC/CSIR (JRF)/NET examination/SLET/GATE/teacher fellowship holder and eligible candidates will have to appear for an interview organized by the Deemed University in which they are expected to discuss their research interest and area. Besides they shall also be required to give performance in their particular discipline at the time of Interview. Other candidates not belonging to any of the above categories will have to appear for a written test organised by the Deemed University.
- Candidates who are employed will be required to submit the application with No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the employer.
4 Research and Recognition Committee
The constitution of the Research and Recognition Committee for purposes of admission to the Doctorate programme will be as under :-
- The Vice Chancellor – Chairperson
- The Dean/HOD of – Member
- Subject Expert/Field Expert – Member
appointed by the Vice-chancellor
- Research Co-ordinator – Member
- Technical Subject Referee – Member
In the absence of the Vice-Chancellor, the Dean of the concerned faculty shall be the chairperson of the meeting. In such a case one more teacher will be invited by the Dean as the member of the Committee. If however The Dean is not available, the Vice Chancellor may invite any teacher from the faculty as the member.
- Procedure after admission
(a) After admission, each candidate shall be required to undertake course work for a minimum period of one semester (six months). The course work shall be treated as pre-Doctorate preparation and must include a course on research methodology which may include quantitative methods and computer applications. It may also involve review of published research in the relevant field. After completion of one semester, the candidate will be required to give a presentation on his/her research topic before the Research and Recognition Committee and the committee will decide the eligibility of the candidate for pursuing the Doctorate programme.
(b) If a candidate is disqualified in the Pre- Doctorate course, he/she shall be given one more chance of six months to qualify and pass the said course failing which no further opportunity will be given.
6 Progress Report
A candidate registered for the Doctorate shall be mandatorily required to submit to the Deemed University a six monthly progress report on the work done during the said period on a prescribed format, through his/her Supervisor which shall be placed before the Research and Recognition Committee for perusal. If the said Committee, at any stage, is not satisfied with the progress of the scholar, the Vice Chancellor may, on the recommendation of the said Committee, recommend the removal of the name of such candidate from the Rolls of Register of Candidates enrolled for the Doctorate. The recommendation so made shall be placed before the meeting of the Academic Council which will report its recommendation, in turn, to the Board of Management for a final decision in the matter.
7 Minimum Period of Research
The candidate will be required to complete the research work in a minimum period of two years from the date of registration of the topic of research. In no case, the thesis shall be submitted before the expiry of two years.
8 Extension of Period of Research
(a) The candidate shall be eligible to apply for an extension of one more year after completion of two years from the date of registration of the topic of research. The candidate shall complete his/her thesis within a period of three years from the date of registration of the topic. The Academic Council may extend the period for another two years on the recommendations of the Supervisor and Dean/HOD concerned.
(b) The application in this regard shall be submitted by the researcher with requisite fee.
(c) The extension shall be given only for six months at a time. Under special circumstances, the Vice-Chancellor may extend two terms together at a time.
(d) The total period for the completion of the research work will be five years. In no case, a candidate shall be allowed to submit the thesis after expiry of five years from the date of registration of the topic of research. After the expiry of the aforesaid period, the registration of the candidate shall be deemed to be cancelled.
9 Language of Thesis
Thesis for award of Doctorate shall be written in English or Hindi language only.
10 Thesis nearing completion
The candidate shall inform the concerned Head/Dean through the Supervisor for conducting the Pre- Doctorate presentation at least six months prior to the submission of thesis.
11 Pre-submission Requirements
- Prior to submission of the thesis, the candidate shall make a Pre- Doctorate Presentation in the department that may be open to all faculty members and research students for getting feedback and comments which must be incorporated into the draft thesis under the advice of the supervisor.
- The candidate shall publish one research paper in a referred journal before the submission of the thesis for adjudication, and produce evidence of the same in the form of letters of acceptance or the reprint.
12 Submission of thesis
Thesis shall not be accepted for examination unless the following conditions are fulfilled :-
- The thesis is submitted within the period prescribed for pursuance of research by these Regulations.
- The thesis shall be printed on A-4 size papers on both the sides.
- The candidate shall submit five copies of the thesis, along with two soft copies of the thesis and four copies of summary, out of which one copy of the thesis will be sent to the UGC.
- The candidate shall mention in the preface of his/her thesis, specifically in footnotes, the source of information, the extent to which he himself has availed the works of others and the portion of the thesis which he claims as original.
- Certificate issued by the Supervisor.
- The candidate shall give one copy of the thesis to the supervisor. The copy of the thesis shall not be returned to the researcher or the supervisor.
- Submission of subsidiary matter in support of his/her thesis relating to any contribution to the advancement of study of the subject of the thesis which he/ she may have previously published independently or conjointly.
- Submission of a “No-dues” certificate from the Deemed University library, fee section and hostel etc.
- While submitting the thesis for examination, the candidate shall submit a signed declaration.
- The certificate of the Supervisor shall be forwarded by the Dean/HOD of the Faculty/Department concerned. If the Dean is not available, the senior most teacher/Head of the Department may forward the certificate of the Supervisor.
14 Appointment of Examiners
- A panel of the examiners (at least six names of the experts) shall be submitted by the Dean of the Faculty after consulting the Head of the Department. If necessary, the Supervisor can be consulted for the names of the examiners. The Vice Chancellor may include names of some more examiners in the panel of examiners, if needed. In the absence of Dean, the Vice-Chancellor may consult the Head of the Department concerned for the names of the examiners.
- The thesis shall be referred to two examiners from the panel appointed by the Vice Chancellor for evaluation.
15 Evaluation of Thesis
- The favourable reports of both examiners are mandatory for the thesis to be processed further.
- If any examiner does not send the report within a period of six months from the date of receipt of the thesis, the Vice Chancellor may appoint a new examiner from the panel.
- In case one of the examiners rejects the thesis, it shall be referred to the third examiner whose decision shall be final. The third examiner shall be appointed by the Vice Chancellor from the said panel of six names.
- If reports of both the examiners are negative, the reports shall be placed before the Academic Council for it’s recommendations and the Board of Management shall take the final decision.
16 Viva Voce
- On receipt of satisfactory evaluation reports, the candidate shall undergo a Viva-Voce examination which shall be conducted by an examiner of the thesis.
- If both examiners are unable to conduct the Viva-Voce test, the Vice Chancellor shall appoint any other subject expert to conduct the Viva-Voce examination.
- The Viva Voce examination shall be conducted by a Committee appointed for the purpose by the Vice Chancellor subject to the condition that the supervisor shall be the internal examiner and at least one of the examiners of the thesis shall be mandatorily a member of the committee.
- If the Supervisor is not available for Viva Voce examination, the Vice Chancellor shall appoint any other subject expert to conduct the examination.
- If a candidate fails in Viva-Voce test, he/she shall be given another opportunity to appear. If the candidate fails at the second Viva-Voce test, the thesis shall be rejected.
- The Viva voce examination shall be held only after the consent of the examiner on a specific date and time. If the examiner is present in the Viva-Voce examination and the candidate is absent in examination, the candidate shall bear all the expenses relating to the next viva voce examination. The candidate shall have also to state the reasons in writing for not appearing in the viva voce examination.
17 Report of Examiners
- After the Viva Voce test, the report of the examiners and the result of the Viva Voce test shall be placed before the Academic Council which shall follow the procedure provided hereinafter.
18 Academic Council
- The report of the examiners on the thesis of the candidate alongwith the report on the viva-voce test shall be placed before the Academic Council and thereafter the Academic Council shall discuss the matter and take a decision on the recommendations.
- If the Academic Council considers that the thesis is fit or unfit to be approved for the award of Doctorate of the Deemed University, it shall report its recommendations to the Board of Management accordingly.
- If the Academic Council considers that further clarifications on the thesis are required to be done by the candidate, it shall be obligatory on part of the candidate to appear before the Academic Council for the said purpose on the date, time and place fixed by the Academic Council or on such extended date as may be mutually convenient.
If the candidate fails to appear before the Academic Council in the form and manner aforesaid, his thesis shall be rejected for non-compliance of this regulation.
- The Academic Council shall be empowered to take all such decisions that it may deem fit and proper on the thesis of the candidate; keeping in view the maintenance of standards of education in the deemed university.
19 Revision of thesis
- On the recommendations of any one or both the examiners, the Deemed University may permit the candidate to resubmit the thesis in a revised form within a period of not more than six months from the date of receipt of communication from the examiners.
- No candidate shall be permitted to submit the thesis in a revised form more than once.
- The candidate shall deposit the fees as under :-
(i) Cost of Application Form – ₹ 1000/-
(ii) Fee payable with the Application – ₹ 1000/-
(iii) Fee payable for Registration – ₹ 2500/-
(iv) Fee payable Half Yearly after Registration – ₹ 2000/-
(v) Fee payable for the Examination of Thesis – ₹ 6000/-
(vi) Caution money – ₹ 2000/-
(vii) Library – ₹ 1000/-
(viii) Temporary Library membership fee per week – ₹ 200/-
or part there of
(ix) (a) Identity Card – ₹ 200/-
(b) duplicate identity card – ₹ 150/-
(x) Development charges – ₹ 1000/-
(xi) Late fees for every six month – ₹ 1000/-
(xii) Enrolment form – ₹ 100/-
(xiii) Fee payable for Pre-Ph.D. course work – ₹ 8000/-
21 Publication of the thesis
- The candidate has to obtain written permission of the Deemed University for publication of the thesis. If a thesis, on which the Deemed University has conferred the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, is published by or on behalf of the candidate, or any other person or agency, as the case be shall prominently state that the thesis was accepted for the candidate by the Deemed University.
- The candidate shall submit two copies of the published thesis to the Deemed University.
22 Eligibility of Supervisor
- Assistant Professor/Lecturer with a Doctorate along with a minimum of five years experience in teaching in a recognised University.
- Associate Professor/Reader with Doctorate.
- An outstanding artiste with adequate experience in research supported by the published research papers or books, subject to approval of the Research Committee.
- A person who is already registered for a Doctorate either in the Deemed University or in any other University shall not be eligible for appointment as supervisor.
- Only the faculty of the Deemed University will be eligible to become supervisor. In an exceptional case, the Research and Recognition Committee may recommend a supervisor/joint supervisor from Universities other then the Deemed University.
23 Maximum number of Candidates under a Supervisor
The maximum number of candidates who can work under a supervisor /joint supervisor will be as per the UGC norms.
24 Foreign and non-resident Indian scholars
- The Deemed University may allow foreign and non resident Indian scholars who may be visiting India as short term candidates in connection with their doctoral, post doctoral or other research projects.
The Deemed University may allow foreign and non-resident students desirous of registering as candidates in the Deemed University for their doctoral or post doctoral projects.
- The students opting for 3 months stay can extend for another three months from the date of obtaining first permission by paying balance fees provided she/he applies for the extension 20 days before the expiry of the earliest term.
25 Cancellation of the Doctorate
If at anytime after the Doctorate has been awarded to the candidate, it is discovered that there has been a material irregularity in the award of the said Doctorate, the Deemed University shall cancel the said Doctorate forthwith and shall communicate the said decision to the candidate.
“Material Irregularity” will constitute obtaining the degree by practising fraud, plagiarism or any other malpractice.
Canvassing in any form, at any stage, by a candidate in pursuance of his thesis shall render his thesis/research to be cancelled immediately by the Deemed University.
The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) Regulations, 2013 are hereby repealed.